Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is derived from sugar beets or cane sugar and is the commonest active ingredient used in self-tanning products. The skin-browning effect is the result of a nontoxic chemical reaction between DHA and the amino acids in the skin’s surface,
Can be added to formulations as is, usual final concentration 2-12%, lower concentration for lighter tan or face, higher concentration for darker shade and body. DHA may lose its tanning effect (or induce discolorations) when combined with alpha-hydroxy acids, titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, iron oxide pigments, or certain perfumes. Avoid using amino acids, proteins, peptides, EDTA. Final product should be in the pH range between 3.5 and 5, this will prevent it from early degradation. Usually combined with erythrulose for a deeper, natural looking tan. For external use only.
Store in a cool place away from direct sunlight. Ideally store in the refrigerator, tightly sealed to prevent moisture absorption.
Click on the Details Tab for Formulation Guidelines
Formulate at a PH of 3-4. In water, DHA initially has a PH of 5.5 and which drifts down to 3-4 over time.
2. Avoid using metal oxides (iron oxides, titanium/zinc oxides).
3. Avoid phosphates. Don’t use PH buffering agents, many are phosphate based.
4. Avoid incorporating any amine containing ingredient (amino acids, peptides, proteins, EDTA).
5. Avoid using alpha or beta hydroxy acids.
6. Avoid using oxidizing agents.
7. Sodium Metabisulfite (EU) is an excellent stabilizer to prevent Dihydroxyacetone formulations from discoloring.
8. Add DHA to formulations at <40C.
9. Use an opaque packaging in order to avoid a UV-induced degradation of DHA.
Write an online review
and share your thoughts with other shoppers!
Joseph Anthony Williams-United Kingdom-
Amazing value. I own a fake tanner business and previously could only purchase DHA in 250g-500g.
Now, thanks to SR-skin care, I actually brought a whole 1KG!!!
Arrived pretty quickly (even though it is second class postage!!!), and the DHA is of highly superior quality.
I will most definitely be using SR skin care as my regular supplier.
Thank you so, so much for being such an amazing company. P.S. please don't ever put your prices up, the value is AMAZING!!!